The Stressful Mid-Semester Peak

I've hit that point in the middle of the semester where I am just ready to be done, but I can't be because I'm nowhere near done! Anyone else there with me? (Did I hear an amen?) Life is stressful as a college student. We are still developing the grades in our classes and haven't hit that point where we can just skip an assignment knowing we'll be fine with all the points we've gathered. Not that I do that ;) We're still getting used to our profs' test formats because some of them haven't given a test until now when they give the midterms. All the pressure is on right now. And I don't just mean mid-semester.

Everyone says to enjoy college because we won't have much time to have fun in the real world. Well I say that's a bunch of baloney and anyone who tells me that must not have gone to school for a degree or took like 6 years to get it! College is stressful! I go to a school with a very demanding curriculum and watch the people around me in amazement as they find time to be social and just ignore the homework assignments piling up behind them. I want to yell at them, "Watch out! There's a mountain of assignments behind you that's about to avalanche all over the place!" ..okay maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, but seriously I'm stressed! It's like every professor assumes we have hours and hours to spend on homework and do all these outside assignments that we're told will only take a few minutes and end up taking 3 hours. Then, we hear college is where you make your best friends and be social. College is time to experience everything you want to try and just enjoy yourself. Who cares if it takes an extra year to graduate because you failed a bunch of classes? At least you enjoyed yourself!


I do not have time or money to waste. Some say I'm uppity or whatever because I get a little anal about getting my homework done before I'm social. I want to be social just like everyone else, but I will not let my GPA drop in order to do so. The only reason I can afford to go to IWU is my scholarships, most of which came from academic achievement. I'm sorry, but in my mind that comes first. I can't afford to spend another year here, in fact I'm saving money right now because I graduated with bunches of credits - 2 years worth to be exact! (Story to come at a later date) I still search for scholarships available to undergrads past their first year. I still try to save as much money as possible whenever I do things and am trying to work as much as possible both in school and on breaks. (See my story about my job search troubles here.) I don't have time to waste because of my relationship with Wes. (I'll write about Wes later.) I hope to marry him soon after graduating, which I want to happen as soon as possible! Staying at IWU longer than I plan will throw that off.


I am at IWU to get an education first and foremost, so I will focus on that. Being social and finding life-long friends will hopefully happen, but only if I can get my work done while doing it. I really hope and pray that I can find that balance.


Blessings!

-Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Part-Time Struggles

Never-ending Information