My Part-Time Struggles

So I have had some trouble finding a job ever since I was looking for my first job at 16. I applied for about 5 jobs before I got my first job at Chick-Fil-A. Unfortunately, I left that job after almost a year. I loved working at Chick-Fil-A, I just happened to be under some terribly un-Christian-like managers (including the owner of the store!) They treated their customers wonderfully, but us employees weren't treated that well - unless you were a pet of the owner. Did I mention the owner loved to "quiz" us on what the ingredients were in EVERYTHING? Like I got ridiculed because I said the chargrill sandwich was on a wheat bun and not a "golden honey wheat bun." One manager in particular had an "I'm everything and I'm always right" attitude that I just could not take anymore. Plus, it was 30 mins from my house and during the winter I would go in to work and then be sent home after only being there for 45 minutes, even if other workers had been there longer than I. I was losing more money in gas than I was making, so I decided it was time to find a new job. It took the entire rest of the summer to find another job as I again applied to 3-4 different places. 
I finally settled at Burger King where I worked until the summer I graduated. It was honestly the most depressing place I have ever worked. Add to that some sexual and just general harassment by other employees and I was ready to get out of there! Luckily, a family friend got me a job working in the offices of a hotel for the last month and a half before I started college that fall. That's really the only time I didn't struggle to get a job. 
Enter the first year of college. At the beginning there were no jobs I was qualified for except kitchen (we all know how I feel about food services!) and a library job. I applied for and got turned down for the library job. Luckily I saw an "ad" if you will in the daily emails we get telling us what's going on on campus for student workers to work the gate for the volleyball and basketball games. I responded and got on the list for that! (Yay!) Unfortunately there are about 45 others on the list. And how it works is they send out a mass email saying "We need workers on this date at this time" and whoever responds first gets the positions. Which was fine and dandy until they began going out while I was in class and i missed more than I made. So I would not get the the job more often that I would. Which was frustrating to say the least. So, at the end of last year I began applying for positions for next year, hoping to step up and get more hours to rebuild my greatly diminished bank account. Enter the struggles. Every job I have applied for I will make it to an interview process and then would not be chosen. It's disheartening, really. It's ridiculous how competitive the jobs are! Add on top of that that I'm a work study student who is receiving help assuming that I have a job and it's even worse. So for now I'm stuck doing tickets as much as I can. It pays for groceries, but that's about it. It limits my social eating abilities (like when people decide to go to JujuBerry or something). Looks like I'll have to work way more on breaks to make up for the difference..let the search for a second job begin!  

Do you have any interesting job stories? Post them in the comments! Until next time! 


-Heather 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stressful Mid-Semester Peak

Never-ending Information